"Spring Cleaning" might get all the attention, but Fall is also a great time to clean house ahead of the holidays, and while the weather's still good. (Autumn sunshine + crisp air + open windows = happy days ❤ )
What tasks do you try to get done every Fall?
The following is an excerpt from a post I did several years ago about "Autumn Housekeeping." I printed the list out for myself the other day, so I thought I'd share it with you all here ... :)
* Launder down comforter, autumn duvet and shams.
* Launder flannel bedding and fleece blankets.
* Review housekeeping routines; adjust as necessary.
* Check on snow gear: boots, jackets, pants, hats, gloves, etc. If anybody needs new things, purchase or order them now.
* Same goes for winter pajamas and slippers.
* Tweak the menu plan to reflect the season - heartier meals, fall fruits and veggies.
* Schedule a work-in-the-yard Saturday to rake, clean up garden debris, store outdoor furniture, etc.
* Plant spring bulbs (snowdrops, crocus, daffodils) before the ground freezes.
* Plan a fall foliage jaunt for one Sunday afternoon.
* Prepare homemade cocoa mix, mulling spice bundles and replenish tea drawer as necessary.
* Visit the farmstand for autumn keepers: apples, onions, potatoes, squash.
* Put up jars of pearsauce and applesauce.
* Schedule cars for regular maintenance. Stock up on winter road supplies.
* Make a list of winter storm supplies to stock at home: snow-melt, flashlight and batteries, battery-operated radio, candles, etc.
* Plan a night to visit the country fair.
* Stop by Starbucks for a pumpkin spice latte. :)
* Visit the Hallmark store for autumn greeting cards (birthdays, anniversaries, Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc.).
* Make plans for our anniversary in October: dinner out with Bill, family dinner (and cake!) with the kids.
* Inventory craft supplies and note what needs replenishing. (Keep in mind holiday projects with the kids and long dark winter days ahead.)
* Stock up on cold and flu season necessaries: vitamins/supplements, herbal teas, honey drops, medicines.
* Clean and inspect birdfeeders. Place seed order with wild bird store.
* Arrange fall mums, asters and pumpkins around front steps.
* Begin a holiday planner - assemble Thanksgiving and Christmas lists, etc.
* Start snapping potential Christmas card pictures.
* Refresh the nature table with autumn treasures.
* Launder cozy throw blankets; store in large basket handy to gathering areas.
* Set out fall book baskets.
* Set out autumn decor including table linens, candles, garlands and mini white lights.
* Decide on Halloween costumes early, allow for any orders/delivery time.
* Set up a gratitude tree ahead of Thanksgiving.
* Make and freeze pie crusts and sugar cookie dough for the holidays.
* Buy Christmas stamps at the end of October.
Now, I'm sure of two things: A. there are lots more items I could add to this list, and (or should I say, but), B. I'll never get around to doing all of them! As I like to say, though, it's a good thing to get it all down on paper. ;)
So, what tasks are on your fall housekeeping list? I'd love to hear your ideas, too!
Have a great Thursday, my friends ... see you here again very soon!