Can it be possible that the week stretching out before us is January's last?? Where, oh where, did my birth-month go? It seems we've just stepped out of Christmas and now Easter (or Lent, I should say) is at our doorstep.
I stopped in at the grocery yesterday morning to buy some rolls for dinner, and as usual I took a few minutes to admire the bright blooms in the floral department. Immersed as I've been in all things Austen lately, I really felt the need for a little posy at my desk. :) So I almost bought a mini tete-a-tete daffodil, but then I reconsidered. For sure, they were springy and sweet, but I just couldn't do it. As much as I will appreciate its return, I don't wish to rush Spring just yet ...
So instead I bought a small bouquet of blush-colored carnations (the humble January flower). Their spicy clove scent is just perfect for this time of year. With one hopeful eye toward warmer days, I still want to find it within myself to enjoy the rest of Winter ...
"... a lingering season, a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour." John Boswell
All right, this post is becoming something entirely different from what I set out to do! Which was to tell you our plans for this week, and since our plans are lengthy, I'd best get started ...
Of Note: Aquarium School, Speech, OT and Social Skills Group, Book Study Meeting, Lost returns (at last!), The Feast of St. Brigid, Groundhog's Day/Candlemas, Audubon Bird Count, Passion Play rehearsal, Superbowl Sunday!
- Daily lessons
- Reading: What's Your Angle, Pythagoras? (CJ), The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat (BW)
- Counting forwards and backwards with EB (usually done in the trampoline)
- Daily workbook lessons
- Prepositions with EB (using and pronouncing them)
- Stressing ending sounds with EB
History: Ancient Greece
- SOTW 1: Chapter 20 "Greece Gets Civilized Again"
- topics: Greek alphabet, Homer, Olympics
- Highlights Top Secret Adventures: Greece
- Mini Pages: "On the Campaign Trail"
- Mark on map:
- Florida primary
- Punxatawney, PA
- AZ Superbowl
- Massachusetts puzzle pages
- State fact cards and coloring pages: New Jersey, Georgia
Science & Nature Study:
- Aquarium School: "Penguins and Giant Ocean Tank"
- Prepare for Focus on Feeders weekend
- make a simple bird guide with EB
- Nature poem (TBD)
- Groundhog Day
- winter animals poster with EB
- Expore warm and cold with EB
- Days of the Blackbird
- Prepare donation for local oil heat fund
- Brigid's Cloak
- Irish dinner
- The Beatitudes
- Hail Mary (EB)
- Candle-lit dinner on Candlemas
- First rehearsal for Parish Passion Play
- Kids Classical Hour
Well, there you have it, our week-at-a-glance. And as it's now Monday morning, I'd better get our worktable all set up! :)
I don't mean to be ignoring all the questions (and emails) I've gotten over the last week or so. (There haven't been too many idle hours lately.) This should be a quieter week (activity-wise) so I will be getting back to you all on the tote bags, bird feeders and organizational tools very soon! Thanks for your patience, and thank you for taking the time to stop in and say hi.
Happy Monday, everyone!